You’ve heard the news – sitting is the new smoking. If you want to maintain your health, it’s important to eat right, exercise, and now, add stand more to the list. But how do you increase your standing every day? First you need to get your baseline, meaning how many hours do you typically spend sitting each day? How many hours are you standing? It helps to keep a log for a few days and see where you stand! (Sorry, we just couldn’t resist!). Once you’ve got your baseline, you can make a conscious effort to stand more. Here’s a few tips to get you on your feet:
1. Try walking more each day. Get a pedometer and increase your steps every day.
2. Try to stand more frequently. In an hour, the average adult burns 81 calories by sitting, and 94 calories by standing.
3. Take a lap around the office every morning and every afternoon.
4. Put eight sticky notes on your computer each day, and take one off every time you get up from your desk.
5. Making a phone call or reading your email? Stand up!
6. Having a business meeting? Instead of sitting at your desk or around a conference table, go for a walking meeting!
7. And, of course, get a height adjustable standing desk from MultiTable.com!